cakes, prose, woes -- the photos, food & thoughts of a french-speaking seattle-native in brazil

In the end, you're just happy you were there—with your eyes open—and lived to see it. -AB
In the end, you're just happy you were there—with your eyes open—and lived to see it.

Monday, May 4, 2009

What the Hell is That?!

Animalitos Baby. Muffin Style.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. If you are a baking blogger, then you, like me, are probably a relaxation baker. Had a bad day? Crash your car into a ditch? Break your right arm? Lose your best friend? or Just get out of a two hour exam on Alexander the Great and oh my god the names of his 30 some odd companions and advisers all bleed together on the page...Lysimachus the who? It's all Greek to me, or rather Macedonian, i suppose. But that's up and done. Fini. I have never needed to bake something so bad...but there's no flour. heart pounding. One stick of butter...is there even sugar? You see, we are moving out of this house in less than a week, so we are not buying anything in the hopes that it will run itself out instead of find its way to the garbage can...um, well, there's a giant bag of "animalitos," the one dollar mexican-import bland animal shaped cookies. hmmmm. on y va.

So really i just crushed animal crackers to a fine dusty powder. That's about it. Nothing special here. One cup animal powder, one cup oats, meh maybe i should melt that stick of butter...muscles are loosening...one egg. ok. cocoa powder and chocolate bits and pieces. Brown sugar, and white! use it all. better use both powder and soda for this one. Hmmm muffins are safest. And a crumble honey top because those are oh so chouette. Voila. As i cannot eat them, they sat a few moments waiting for a roommie to arrive-- "Here! eat! it's possible it's not edible, no rat poisoning or anything like that though, but you must let me know!" A starred back at me with a look of fear--she closed her eyes, mmmm, brilliant! excellent.

And these are random photos that have nothing to do with anything. but meh!

not that you need a recipe, but, well--
ingredients: 1 cup crushed animal cookies ~ 1 cup oats ~ 1 stick butter ~ 1 cup vanilla yogurt ~ .5 cups sugar ~ .5 cups brown sugar ~ .25 cups cocoa powder ~ 1 tsp baking powder ~ .5 tsp baking soda ~ 1 egg ~ cinnamon ~ chocolate bits (for the top: honey, brown sugar, crushed animal cookies, and oats)

Haha! A something from a nothing! As life should be.

ps. I must make a birthday wish to my baby brother--15 years old! damn just yesterday you were eating potatoes with spoons. you're my little animalito! when you were born i was a stringy 8 year old cry baby screaming "no! i hate boys! send him away!" you see, when my one and only bro bro was born, i already had three sisters. It was a girls only party in my mind. Don't worry brother, i like ya now at least. and thankfully i've stopped hating boys. well sorta. hehe.

a bientot

18 comments:

Moira - Tertúlia de Sabores said...

The animalitos are so cute.
I think we have something like that in Portugal, or we had when i was a child :)
Beijo

Anonymous said...

Fabulous! Everyone deserves something like this once in a while.

Cheers,

*Heather*

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

You did so good. I'll like to taste the results.

Anonymous said...

still hating boys?

how about poulets?

Mallory Elise said...

nope. i've never hated a poulet.

Pearl said...

hi there! thank you so much for visiting my blog. i'm actually not a professional writer, although i aspire to be.

your baby brother is so adorable!

Pearl said...

haha do you mind if i add you to my blogroll? your photos, recipes and stories are incredible :)

Núria said...

Well, it surely isn't an Omelet... if you know what I mean (he, he).

What a great picture of your little brother!
A great idea to use the animalitos here :D

Christy said...

So, instead of studying for that Alexander the Great exam you went and decorated your blog. Love it though!!

And your photos on this post are awesome, like the idea of using animal biscuits for crumble and topping.

Mallory Elise said...

actually, instead of studying for my alexander the great exam, i was having a nervous breakdown. but nobody needs to know that :P

Colloquial Cook said...

why can't I have animalitos? I want one!

Marta said...

How are you feeling now? Breakdown over? I do hope you're feeling better, but I know that with the semester winding down, moving, exams, and other secret things you've got going on, it's hard to keep the dark clouds from taking over your head! I send sunshine your way (that sounds so hippie!)
On to the muffins: great call to grind the crackers, how clever! They look very cute and I'm sure taste great. I'm a big fan of no flour, so I'm goign to try to use the ground cracker technique, though I guess those are mostly flour... oh well !
Have a good day :)

Mallory Elise said...

haha thanks Marta--but i'm fine. you'll realize very quickly that i am trop dramatique, trust me. hehe. just ask around, you'll get a bunch of nods :P

Lori said...

This is one creative recipe! I'm a relaxation baker as well. It really does the trick to relax me. Well unless things don't turn out well, in which case it could add to my stress. :)

I'll take random pics anytime. Love your photography! Happy b-day to your bro!

Siri said...

FUNNY!

I love your "I'm movin' soon and refuse to go to the grocery store" attitude- same one I should start taking.

So did you deem them good, or what?

Manuela © said...

Olá menina "quase" portuguesa :P

Great idea to use those animalitos into a muffin. I loved all your random pictures :)
About boys... well I love them and I hate them, I guess you know the feeling lol

Have a nice weekend!

Sylvia said...

It was a long time that I visit you. First of all, your photos are getting better and better, actually wonderful.
Love the animalitos idea, and the muffins looks yummy ...send one for me please :)

Megan {Feasting on Art} said...

This looks like the perfect way to start any morning. I love love love your photography! You have a very inspiring site and I thank you for your kind comments on my blog.